Sunday, June 5, 2011

Henri Cartier-Bresson



I chose this artist because I saw his exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City. Henri Cartier-Bresson is well known for his travels around the world and the pictures he has taken. He specializes in black and white photography, using a Lecia 35mm camera, and enjoys taking pictures in England, India, and Indonesia. Cartier-Bresson is claimed to be pioneer of photography. He took pictures of large social and political upheavals. Cartier-Bresson took pictures of the 1930s Depression, the rise of fascism, and the belief that human progress could only be made in struggles against the old cultural values and political institutions. He was born in France to a wealthy family that owned a textile mill. But instead of joining the family business he went to school in 1927. Cartier-Bresson set out to "paint and change the world" and in his early years took pictures of the political battles happening in France. In his later years he began to travel the world and take pictures that way.

I chose this picture because it was interesting to me and I enjoyed the contrast of it. Like how the person is all black while the puddle beneath him is reflecting the rest of the picture above it. The person is all blurred as if this picture was taken at a low shutter speed. Also it leaves a lot to imagination since what is happening is not explained in the picture. When I look at the picture I see a man walking on water, or the man could have fallen of of the ladder and jumped in order to save himself. The picture is not centered also adding to the interest for me. This picture makes me feel confused but also feel some suspense since I do not know what will happen after. This picture was an interesting and enjoyable picture to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment